2007-10-03

BUSINESS: The balance between brainstorming and feasibility

One thing I've encountered recently with my ideas regarding technology is a simple question.

"Is there a need for this?"

Satisfying my own needs is one thing. Satisfying the needs of more people than me is something else. It's easy enough to develop things to satisfy my own needs and desires, but I'm a person that tends to feel "rewarded" when I create something that other people can use as well.

I imagine this is an important business precept as well; a concept that may have brought down more than one company. Smart businesspeople know that if there is no need, or "demand", then the product, or "supply" will never be sold at the desired rate.

Hence, market research is born.

I also think that it's important to have "focused freedom" in coming up with product ideas. A good brainstorming session is one that is as free of bounds and preconceptions as possible. However, simply going off on tangents will get you nowhere. Some focus on the subject at hand is needed to keep things working on the right track. It may even save some time, where a completely free session would wander down roads that simply waste time.

1 comment:

Caljv said...

sometimes fanciful brainstorming CREATES an opportunity for feasibility, i.e. "how can we make this work?"