2011-03-30

RANDOM: Quick observations regarding humans

I just wanted to share a couple of random observations around humans and their behavior.

First, I noted that you gain respect for how something is built if you attempt to build it yourself.

For example, I am always thinking about how to artificially reproduce human senses such as sight, and after I try to figure out how to process images instantly over and over and provide a comprehensive picture than can be parsed for information, I am in awe of the processing power of just our sense of vision.

Second, I observed that to truly reproduce instinctual behavior, one needs to employ the fight or flight tendency, along with some memory.

For example, think of an animal you are trying to befriend, such as a stray cat. At first, they immediately run from you, because you are an unknown quantity and much bigger than them (flight). Then after observing you a few times and noting there doesn't seem to be an immediate danger, they investigate to see if there is a latent danger, and if so, they run away (flight again).

There's a lot more to the theory on this second point, but it was an observation I wanted to share.

No comments: